too much chicken -->

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day!

What a day I had yesterday. By the way the morning started, I never would have thought it would be so bad. In fact, it couldn't have started off better. I woke up before my alarm clock, feeling rested and well. The sun was rising and reflecting off the clear mountains as I drove to work. It was a crisp yet suprisingly warm morning and I received a good assignment. I went about my duties and even though I had nine patients, they were all presumably well. Right. Then all of a sudden...I started getting a headache. I thought I justed needed to eat, so I went downstairs to try out the Bistro everyone raves about. I ordered an apple/almond cesar salad and asked for the dressing on the side. I ate and got back to work. My morning was simple, but good. I still had the headache (which was rapidly progressing into a migraine) but tried my best to shake it off. So, I'm doing my thing when one of the nurses calles me in a patient's room and asks me to help her. I thought hey, no problem, just give me a minute. Just as I'm walking in the room to "help her" she mumbles something about needing food and conveniently disappears. Terrible was my's about to get Horrible (and perhaps a bit graphic). I turned to Mr A. (we shall call him) to find that he was covered in urine and fecal matter. I am not exaggerating. I put up with a lot and am normally very easy going about the disgusting jobs that I do but at this point I am thinking, what a b___! This poor guy is very sick and happened to be in adult briefs (diapers). I knew he was given lasix, but dang... He had to be a good 6' 3" and there was no way I could manage this mess on my own. Grrrr. So now I definitely have a migraine and I'm feeling a bit nauseated. When the job was done (a big thank you to another nurse who cared enough about the patient and me, to lend a helping hand) I sat for two minutes to rest. Here's to No Good. Feeling very sick and ready to vomit I went to the bathroom on the verge of tears, only to smash my ring finger in the large (and very heavy) industrial door. No words escaped me but my tears fell uninhibited. I couldn't bring myself to look at the damage. Ouch. I made an executive decision that my day was going to end but unfortunately it was not honored. Being that my nail immediately turned black and my finger was swollen, I had to go to employee health for an x-ray to see if it was also broken. Yes, I smashed it that hard. As if the headache, extreme nausea and smashed finger weren't enough... I never did get an x-ray because I showed up crying and preceded to vomit for a good twenty minutes. Very, Very Bad Day!. I am now hating life, cursing the funny-tasting salad, cursing cruel crappy nurses, and holding an ice pack on my wounded finger. It took me four and half hours to get home because I had to make a few stops on the way. After I was finally allowed to leave City of Hope, I made it ten miles down the road to APU, where I slept in the parking lot for an hour. My next stop was another fifteen miles east, to my parents house. They weren't home but I didn't care. I needed a toilet (or any object suitable for catching vomit) and a bed. When they did get home (God bless them) they took very good care of me and nursed me back to health. Even Sarah helped out. Even stranger than the perfect way my day began, was the way it ended. After a couple hours of rest, a couple trips to the restroom, and some Malox, I was totally fine. I went downstairs, had some cream of wheat, shared some laughs and made the final fifteen miles to my home where my shower and bed were waiting.

P.S. Actual thought while my head was plunged into the depths of the toilet: "At least I'll have something interesting to blog about"


Blogger UncleAaron said...

I'm sorry to hear that your day was so...dare I say SHITTY :P Aunt Kimmy basically had a similar day with the headache and vomiting today. I felt so helpless as I watched her sit and cry because of the pain andn icky feeling. She was able to munch on so crackers and hold down some NyQuil in hopes of sleeping it off. I just check in on her and thankfully she is sleeping. I hope both of you are felling much better tomorrow. Try to rest up if possible and I'll see you on Sunday.

Love ya

11:33 PM  
Blogger mrsskeels said...

Still just as funny as the first time. Of course, I'm very well aware how NOT FUNNY it was while you were going through it. Glad you know you can still come home anytime. Hugs....

8:40 AM  
Blogger aunt kim said...

The things we have in common are quite scary sometimes huh? Well I have to say that as of this a.m. I am feeling much better too!

Hope your next few days of work are better than yesterdays :)

See you on Sunday!

b.t.w. how's your finger?

12:12 PM  
Blogger la vie en rose said...

bless your heart!!! what a terrible day. i'm glad you're feeling better and that you ended the day by being very well cared for.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home